Saturday 30 April 2011

Royal Wedding Cupcakes


Was anyone else disappointed with this super quick smooch?

From what I have read on all the blogs over the past few weeks, the Royal Wedding has been the biggest thing to happen in the cupcake world since, well, the cupcake world began! Well at least since cupcake blogs began.

Check out American Cupcake in London's Guest Blog on Cupcake's Take the Cake for the full low down:
http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2011/04/royal-wedding-cupcakes-in-uk.html

Since I am a true Monarchist and LOVE the Royal Family, especially the pretty ones, I did attempt to make my own Royal Wedding cupcakes a couple of weeks back.

I am a frosting girl at heart I find covering the frost with fondant icing a challenge. These are simple Vanilla Cupcakes made from a vegan recipe during my short stint on a dairy free diet, covered in red and blue fondant icing (pre-made from Dr Oetker) and some piped white Royal Icing - how fitting.
The Rosette and napkin are from Asda. 

1) I began by covering the cakes in a thick layer of dairy free frosting.

2) I started the Union Jack design by cutting out thin circles of the blue icing slightly larger than the circumference of the cupcake. I then smoothed them over the surface of the frosting and cut round any overlapping edge with a sharp knife.

3) I cut strips of red icing, rolled to the same thickness. For each cake I had 2 strips about 1cm thick and 2 strips 75mm thick, as the diagonal strips on the Union Jack are a little thinner.

4) I layered these on and piped white icing around the edges of the red.

5) Then I added the Love element - I cut some hearts from the red icing by hand using the point of a sharp knife, wet with a little water and then dipped in red edible glitter, plonked it on the top and iced round it.

... and Voila. 

Don't they look awesome in the Red Box available from Cupcakeboxesuk.com

Disappointingly, I have not seen many Royal Wedding Cupcakes in my local shops, but here are a few I they were serving at the Leonard Street Royal Wedding Street Party where I celebrated the glorious occasion.
These cookie towers looked great, but were a little dry. 

Loved the red, white and blue sprinkles. 

The only Rice Crispy Wedding Cake I've ever seen! 


Burlesque Betty would like to offer these 2 a lesson in  Burlesque Baking! Where are the smiles and Va Va Voom ladies?


 

 

2 comments:

  1. I brought one at £2 at the "Street Party" and felt I had been completely ripped off. It tasted foul and don't know how you can justify charging £2 to unsuspecting members of the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree.

    £2 is a lot of money for a cake, unless its pretty special. Some of the stalls were charging as much as £3.50 a simple vanilla cupcake.

    And you didn't even get a free smile when you bought one!

    The fondant cakes were 'coloured in' rather than iced and the toppers looked like they had been bought from a mass production. I also wasn't sure why they used leopard print cases?!

    With no craftsmanship, design or charisma they were cheeky charging as much as they did!

    This may sound really bitchy, coming from a fellow baker, but it upsets me when I see people trying to make a quick buck from cupcakes.

    Great cake makers charge a lot for their cupcakes because of the cost of the high quality and sometime unusual ingredients, and the detail, time and materials required to make them so special. They bake them because they enjoy doing so not to make a profit.

    OK. Moan over.

    Betty Xx

    ReplyDelete